Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Heirloom Tomato Caprese Salad

After work I stopped over at Whole Foods to pick up a few things and some Cassava Chips that my Mom told me about. Have you ever had Cassava Root? It’s really good boiled in sea salt – it reminds me of a sweeter version of a Yukon Gold Potato. I was excited to try these after she raved about them.

IMG_9143

The nutritional stats are not too bad for a “potato chip”.

IMG_9145

I portioned some out like The Husband does :) and shared. We both really liked them. They have a sour cream and onion taste surprisingly for “original” flavor. I think it’s the garlic powder.

IMG_9148

I really wasn’t hungry for dinner tonight, so I went with a lighter salad and some fruit. I started off slicing up the two beautiful Heirloom Tomatoes that I had picked up at the Farmer’s Market on Saturday. I seasoned them with a little sea slat and freshly ground black pepper.

IMG_9151

Then, topped them each with a thin slice of low-fat mozzarella and 3 basil leaves off our plant, chopped. I drizzled a little Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Blackberry Balsamic with Pear Vinegar.

IMG_9155IMG_9153 IMG_9154

The result was absolutely amazing! I had four slices

IMG_9158

with some watermelon on the side.

IMG_9157

I know it wasn’t much for dinner as The Husband teased me about having vegetables and fruit, but, honestly, it was exactly what I was craving. Something light and fresh ~ It definitely hit the spot and allowed me to save room for dessert.

IMG_9156 IMG_9160

While we ran some errands, we made sure to stop and get a Low-Fat Ice Cream Cone ~ I LOVE these 3 Weight Watcher Point cones and could get them as a treat every day :D

IMG_7936

I am off to bed ~ I plan on posting the recipes I’ve been telling you about all week tomorrow and there is a giveaway announcement happening this week (tomorrow or Thursday) that you will definitely want to WIN!

Thanks for all the great things you all say and I always love seeing your messages pop up in my inbox.

See you all in the morning when the week will be 1/2 over – yeah!

10 comments:

  1. yum! that looks like a perfect dinner to me....

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow that is an awesome dinner! Love the ice cream cone too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, those tomatoes look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love caprese salad! It's so refreshing for the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i would love to die in to that salad -- and you wouldn't hear me squawkin' about eating that ice cream cone either :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh holy yum! Love that salad!
    <3 jess
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loving the salad. And those chips look great! Yum :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i am drooling over that ice cream cone.. and the tomato salad is beautiful! but back to the ice cream....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those tomatoes are so pretty! I love Heirloom tomatoes :) Your dinner looks absolutely amazing, and so does that ice cream. yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Actor's Diet ~ You know what - that is exactly what I thought as I ate it.

    Peanut butter ~ both were fantastic!

    Danielle ~ the tomatoes were awesome! I didn't think I as a big fan of Heirloom tomatos but THESE really made me change my mind.

    K ~ It's awesome in the summer when the tomatoes are best - I totally agree.

    Jenny ~ Why didn't you come over last night then - we would've shared :)

    Havefaith ~ YUM, YUM!

    C.G. ~ the chips were pretty tasty - a nice change from the ordinary healthy chips.

    Janetha ~ you crack me up - yup, I pondered going back out for a second cone - so good!

    Anne ~ Thanks, it is so easy to make and tastes so amazing. I am really digging ALL tomatoes this year.

    ReplyDelete