Saturday, July 4, 2009

Homemade Vanilla Bean Frozen Yogurt

During summertime I ALWAYS crave ice cream and frozen yogurt, however, I do not always like all the ingredients in the lighter/low fat versions and well full fat premium is pretty darn scary.  I LOVE breaking out my ice cream maker and making my own.  It is so easy and you can definitely make a healthy version that you don’t have to feel bad about.

Homemade Vanilla Bean Frozen Yogurt

  

IMG_8502

3 cups good quality lowfat Greek Yogurt or make your own Greek Yogurt using 6 cups lowfat plain

1/2 c Agave Nectar OR 3/4 c Sugar

1 vanilla bean scraped with 1-2 tsp pure vanilla extract

If not using Vanilla bean, 1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract

Combined all the ingredients and refrigerate for 1 hour.  Freeze according to your ice cream makers instructions.

Makes about 1 quart.

Here is everything you need to make fantastic homemade froyo

IMG_8448

Vanilla beans are expensive but they add an amazing flavor.  Simply slice them in half and scrap the beans out of the middle.

IMG_8450

Add your vanilla extract to your yogurt, sugar and vanilla bean mixture. 

IMG_8454

About an hour later, it’s all done!  You still should freeze it to harden for about an hour though.

IMG_8467

Tadah!  Check out the VANILLA BEANS ~ Yum!  It’s really creamy since you use lowfat versus fat free.  Fat Free can tend to make it a bit icy.

IMG_8502

This recipe is fantastic with different flavors as well.  Another one of my favorites is to make strawberry by adding 3 c of fresh strawberries and omitting the vanilla bean.  The options are endless ~ mint chocolate chip (1 tsp mint extract and 1-2 c mini chocolate chips stirred in at the end in place of the vanilla).  Use your imagination and you can create just about any flavor you like using the greek yogurt agave combo above.

8 comments:

  1. pure heaven.. baskin robbins better watch out -- Danica is gonna put ya'll out of business!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so good! I should find my sister's old ice cream maker and give that a whirl :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenny ~ You are funny! I think I'd have to sell it for that to happen but I like the way you think :)

    Anne ~ You should try it - using the ice cream maker is so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I never would have thought to use Greek yogurt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Broccoli ~ Greek yogurt makes it super creamy and I LOVE the combo with agave.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great! I love making fro-yo! I don't normally add extract when I have the bean in there though. Does it up the flavor?

    ReplyDelete
  7. ahhh.. vanilla bean is my fave flavor of all time! do you have to have an ice cream maker?? i dont..

    ReplyDelete
  8. C.G. ~ I didn't think you would need to because I thought vanilla beans are strong in flavor. However, after I added the entire vanilla bean it didn't taste vanilla-y enough. So, I added extract and tadah - double vanilla flavor - yum!

    Janetha ~ I thought of you when I made this and figured you'd want to make it next. I bought my cheapo ice cream maker at Target for like $15 or $20 and it works fabulous.

    ReplyDelete