Thursday, July 16, 2009

My Farmer’s Market Date….

The Husband called me up on my way home and asked if I wanted to go on a “date” with him to the Farmer’s Market!  I tell ya, that boy definitely knows the way to my heart – obviously my answer was YES!!!

I really wanted to walk to the market but it was just too hot outside so we took a short drive there, parked and strolled through the market checking out all the fruit and veggie samples.  YUM!

We scored some fantastic deals (I spared you all so many pix again):

* 5 ears white corn for $1

* 1 BIG cantaloupe for $1.50

* 3.5 lbs of nectarines/pluots/peaches for $1/lb

And THESE TWO fantastic HUMMUS spreads.  The Hummus Guy had like 20 flavors to choose from so I went with two that are different.  I LOVE the spice of the harissa in the black bean and the artichoke is just plain good with the roasted garlic.  I cannot wait to make up a hummus wrap using these!

IMG_9234 IMG_9233

I visited the ridiculously priced shaved ice vendor again because it’s one of my favorite things.  This time I bought a large 1/2 banana and 1/2 bubble gum to share with The Husband. (Yup, still a rip off at $3.75 but totally worth it in the heat!)

IMG_9216

The Husband wanted to get his beef stick, but, they were all out.  So he settled for the grilled teriyaki chicken.

IMG_9219

And I stole a little piece – I LOVE grilled chicken.

IMG_9221

We decided to stop at the new Pizza By The Slice place that just opened up, Evelyn’s Big Italian Pizzeria.  I LOVE the story of the owner’s and how they started out in Italy with their pizzeria before moving to NYC, Chicago and then California.  Everyone was so friendly and helpful.  We sort of didn’t believe them when they told us that the pictures are the wall were the ACTUAL size of the pizza.

IMG_9218IMG_9217  

And then, our single slices came out!  WOW – check out The Husband’s – that is a full size fork next to his piece.

IMG_9223 

My veggie pizza slice didn’t even fit on my plate!

IMG_9224 

That is some serious veggies too!  Their tomato mixture was had a bruschetta flavor that packed a nice vinegar/herby punch.  The dough was crispy and chewy and honestly pretty amazing!

IMG_9226

I did my best, but only managed to eat about 1/2 of my piece.  I should’ve cut it in half so I could have enjoyed that crust!  I did cut a small piece of it off.  We ate outside in the shade and it was just so nice.

IMG_9232 

We pondered heading to the movies to see The Proposal, but, The Husband didn’t think he could stay up that long.  We are relaxing now and getting ready to call it a night!

Did you all see my fantastic Annie’s Summer Mac & BBQ Giveaway?  Click HERE to enter.

Nite all!

13 comments:

  1. I hit up our Farmer's Market tonight as well, but my nectarins/peaches were $3/lb! Dang you got a good deal!! And I definitely hit up our hummus stand for lots of yummy samples. Very tempted to buy some hummus, but I have to wait until I'm all out of what I already have!

    Hope you brought the pizza home for leftovers!! Cold pizza = mmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. great sounding hummus! i love how cheap the peaches are at our market, too. and so good!

    I can't wait to see your review on the heart thrive snacks! I've been hearing a lot about them, but haven't seen them here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a great date! I LOVE the farmers market. Woohoo!
    Yummy pizza!
    <3 jess

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, I love that you guys went to the farmer's market as a "date." That is awesome! The shaved ice looks delicious! Pricey, but when the summer gets super hot, cold food/drinks are a MUST!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That chipotle hummus sounds REALLY good - I hope you enjoy it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that chicken does look good, and the pizza is HUMONGO! AWESOME! I love all the good lookin' veggies on there! Don't you just love the summer when you can take advantage of the good weather and go to farmer's markets and eat outside! LOVE IT! Glad you had a wonderful day!
    xoxo,
    keri
    www.hopskipleap.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG that pizza looks fantastic! All those veggies yum yum yum! And that hummus! I can't wait to see what kind of wrap you put in on!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That hummus and pizza looks great! I think I am having pizza tonight which is great since you made me crave it 10 times more!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! I love hummus!! And 20 different flavors?? I would have such a hard time trying to decide what kind to get :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh i am diggggging all the toppings on that pizza slice! i have been wanting to find a chipotle hummus, maybe i will have to find a recipe for one instead! hope you enjoy your purchases :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE farmers markets!! BUt here in Vancouver. they are only open on the weekends and are soo expensive! That pizza looks amazingly good!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a cute date :-)

    And great Farmer's Market finds!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Heyitstay ~ I found if you go towards the end of the market or if you buy alot (ike 5 lbs) that they give you a better price. Alot of times towards the end they just want to get rid of stuff.

    Brandi ~ The hummus is sooooo good! I will definitely let you know what I think of the Thrive bars.

    Havefaith ~ you know it really was an awesome date - I am so easy to please LOL.

    Anne ~ Ya, we do simple things like that, but, we both love it so that is what counts, right? I agree about shaved ice - I think that is how those people can rip you off :)

    K ~ I had it today using one of your wraps - so good!

    Keri ~ It was such the perfect night out after it cooled off. I LOVE summer days like that.

    Julia ~ OMG it was the best pizza - I can't wait for leftovers and to go back.

    Missy ~ Glad I could help you crave your dinner more :)

    Fitnut ~ OMG - that was totally me. I was trying them all and I couldn't decide b/c they were ALL good. I think I just need to rotate them all eack week to try something new.

    Janetha ~ the only one I found that was store bought was Tribe - it was eh, ok. You could easily make your own by buying a can of chipoltes in adobo and only use a little sauce and 1 chile (not the whole thing since they are spicy!).

    Christina ~ Awww - that's a bummer. But, it might be a nice weekend treat every now and then.

    C.G. ~ Yup - it was all good!

    ReplyDelete